Saturday, April 16, 2011

Five Guys 10271 S. Eastern Ave Henderson NV

My little piece of heaven
 We ventured into Five Guys on a Saturday and as we entered the workers yelled "two in the door!".  By 11:30, every table was already filled.  I am thinking to myself this must be a good sign.  I vowed not to blog on chain restaurants on Eastern (do you really want a review of Coco's?) but since this eatery is the only one in Las Vegas (at the time of this blog at least as they are due to open 4 more in the area) I figured that I'd let it slide.  Ed has already been here a few times, and in Washington, and he swears by the burger.  I was a skeptic at first.  The restaurant sounded like in-and-out, small menu that includes one, two or three patties of meat.  I did notice that they had a veggie sandwich (not sure what that is) and a variety of hot dogs as well.  Everything is a la carte so you pay more than In-and-out, but just at first glance, there are many more toppings to choose from.  Ed, of course, got a plain burger with cheese.  I decided for lettuce, tomato, pickle, mayo and ketchup.  I saw there was another version called the "little burger" but didn't quite grasp what that was.  Ed later explained that meant one patty, and we had ordered double cheeseburgers.  Gee thanks!  We also ordered one small fry to share as Ed told me that would be enough.  In looking behind the counter (it's an open kitchen)  there are actually 13 guys not five (women too!) and each one has a very specific job.  They have one girl that just condimentizes (is that a word?) the burgers, one woman toasting buns, two guys manning the grill, one guy that simply wraps the burgers, a fry guy and a guy that bags it all up.  This place is an assembly line!  Our order came up pretty promptly from this well oiled machine.  The guy that bags the orders also yells out the order as NUMBER 11, HOT AND READY just like the guy selling peanuts at the stadium.   and I opened the foil to what you see above.  I bit in and......OK it's amazing.  I admit it, it's amazing!  The burgers are super juicy, and the cheese is completely melted and over every little bit of burger.  The bun is buttered and toasted, and all of the condiments seem to melt into one.  Ed also loves the fries, but I wasn't a huge fan.  Probably just because I am very particular about my fries.  They still have the skin on them, and are deep fried (of course).  Honestly, I could only find one minor problem about Five Guys; a la carte gets expensive.  We spent over $20 on cheeseburgers and fries.  

Ambiance: 2
Food quality: 9
Price: 9 (this place is inexpensive, but a littly pricey for burgers)
Price for quality of food: 9
Overall: 9

2 comments:

  1. Bob and I went to the Five Guys in La Quinta recently. We made the same mistake and ended up with double burgers. I thought I was ordering a little hamburger....not. The burger was delicious but I didn't like the fries at all. You didn't mention the free peanuts...did the Henderson location not have? Bob recommends getting everything on the burger...all seven free items. He loved this place but it took me two days to recover after eating all that fat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do have the peanuts at ours and Ed loves them! I am glad I didn't eat the peanuts, because the burger along was enough. I managed to stuff the whole thing in my belly somehow.

    ReplyDelete